Sports Funding at Staunton and Corse Primary Academy
The Government is providing £150 million of 'Sport Premium' funding per annum (academic year) to primary school to support the delivery of PE and School Sport. This funding will be ring fenced and Ofsted report on the expenditure and its impact.
All schools with 17 or more primary-aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £16,000 plus a premium of £10 per pupil per annum.
The government are not dictating how schools should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ the strategies that they know will support these pupils to increase their active participation in sports.
School must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sports, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils' participation in School Games
- buying quality assured professional development development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of schools in our MAT to engage in joint sporting ventures